How did Martin get caught with identity theft and thus discovered? The true story and much more.

The events that led up to Martin being caught for identity theft creating the foundation for the more horrifying parts to surface, is an interestingly coincidental story.  Basically, one of the MacNeill’s adopted children, Giselle MacNeill, was deported by Martin back to Ukraine after Michele died.  She was under the assumption it was just for a summer visit.  However, Giselle did not return after the summer.  A brief summary of what occurs next are as follows.  When Michele’s sister, Linda and her daughter, Jill discovered this they felt compelled to do something about it.  Jill, Giselle’s cousin, began searching for her and upon reviewing the online obituary for Michele, hoping to find a contact in the Ukraine, she discovered an entry written from a “Yulia” who had posted a comment with her email address on the obituary. Yulia, was the translator from the Ukraine who helped Martin and Michele adopt their children.  Jill emailed her and asked if she might know where Giselle was.  Jill eventually received a response back from Yulia informing Jill that she did know of Giselle’s whereabouts and she soon was able to provide a phone number for Jill. Jill and Giselle eventually spoke.  Giselle was so happy to hear from Jill.  She was crying and could not wait to return to the United Stated.  She told the story of how she was left there and had no money or food.  Travel plans were arranged by our family and Jill flew to the Ukraine.  Jill could not believe the horrible conditions that she was living in and escorted Giselle home to Spanish Fork to live with Linda, Michele’s sister, and her family.  Almost one year later Giselle was finally home in the United States.

Upon Giselle’s return to the United States she was very fearful of Martin.  Michele’s sister Linda feared him as well as she knew there was some premeditated plan for Martin to have abandoned her over there.  On May 22, 2008 Linda went to court and filed and an Ex-Parte Protective Order against Martin.

Linda then had to retain an attorney to obtain guardianship.  This I find odd to have to fight for custody against a father who abandoned his daughter in a foreign country who at their own cost they had to bring back?  They have to hire an attorney at their own cost?  What’s wrong with this!?
August 11, 2008 Martin relinquished his parental rights and Custody and guardianship of Ada, Sabrina, and Elle continued with Alexis and Giselle with Linda.  (Ok, put me through months of court and the expense of attorney fees and then relinquish parental rights–typical Martin).

Linda then began the process to adopt Giselle.  It was during Giselle’s adoption process to Michele’s sister, Linda Cluff, that a curious thing came out of the wood-work.  It was discovered that  Giselle MacNeill’s ‘Date of Birth’ had been changed by 20 years!  The adoption process could not continue, and we learned that Martin MacNeill perpetrated fraud to a court, again.  More events are unfolded and are found in Linda Cluff’s record below.
–Website Moderator

Going to the Police:
Within about a week of Michele’s death I went to the police, because I suspected foul play.  This was following my sister’s funeral which Martin’s odd behavior at even greater confirmed what I already knew when I heard of her death that Martin had killed her.  I went with my daughter Jill first to the Utah County Sheriff’s with my suspicions.  We spoke to two officers there whose names I do have, but I will not publish.  I took with me the carefully kept papers from my mother from his 1977 fraud incident in Orange County which contained two psychological evaluations with alarming statements.   I also stated that I felt because he had a medical background he would know just what to do to hide any foul play which was very concerning to me.  They said unfortunately it was out of their jurisdiction so they would be unable to handle it.  They looked in the computer and told me the name Officer with the Pleasant Grove Police Department who was handling it and stated that they would pass the paperwork to that Officer and have him contact me.  I stressed that I wanted to remain confidential and not have my name on any paperwork.
First Meeting with the Pleasant Grove Police Officer:
I met briefly with him.  He informed me that he was investigating Michele’s death; and had received the documents and information from the Utah County Sheriff’s Department.  He told me some other information, but I am at this time electing not to disclose.  I was concerned with what I was told. He stated that he was awaiting autopsy results, and would let me know when he received them.  I stressed to him as well that I wished for my name to be confidential.
Second Meeting with Officer:
The Officer called me in and gave me the autopsy results.  He told me Michele’s death was ruled as natural.  He gave me more detailed information which is on the report, but I am electing to leave that out of this summary.  I informed him that the results didn’t shock me at all.  I was expecting the results to be normal.  Martin would know how to hide any sort of foul play. I absolutely knew the report would not reveal any foul play.  The Officer said he was closing the case which upset me.  All he had done was arrive at the scene, question no one except Martin about what had happened.  He then just waited for the autopsy results and closed the case.  What kind of investigation is that?  Didn’t question the neighbors or Ada even when there was discrepancies as to how she was found and the evidence cleaned up!  He also had me in there asking for an investigation with real concerns.  And what about the papers I had brought in?
Third Meeting with Officer June 21, 2007:
Two family members of Michele’s came with me to speak to the investigating officer with me.  The Officer’s supervisor came in as well.  It seemed before we even got started they had a defensive attitude.  We could sense it as we walked in the room.  We started by stating that we had very strong feelings that Martin had something to do with our sister’s death.  He of course already knew this as I had been in there previously myself stating this, but now there were three of us.  We informed them that we had just found out some new things from our sister’s children and we felt they should be made aware of this information.  (We had now learned that Michele’s children also felt their Dad killed Michele.  Prior to that they had not confided to us even though Alexis thought it all along, because she was afraid and still living with her dad trying to get her sisters that were still at home).  We told the Officer about how just a week or so after Michele was buried  Martin posed a woman named Gypsy as a nanny he had hired.  However, he had been making calls to Gypsy prior to Michele’s death.  We also told him that Michele had confided to Alexis just prior to her death stating to her that if anything happened to her to make sure that Martin had nothing to do with it.  The Officer’s only comment back was that Alexis had just probably said that because she was mad at her dad for having an affair.
The Officer was very defensive the entire time and he said, “Are you trying to tell me that I don’t know how to do my job?’”  We were all very nice to him and said, “No we have just learned new information that we thought you should be aware of.”  We also brought up the fact that if new things are discovered about the case we had heard of cases where after learning of new information they have exhumed bodies for more testing.  He and his supervisor said they had never heard of such a thing.  They made us feel like idiots.
I want to stress they were very rude.  They made us feel like we were wasting their time and putting them out.  They never asked one single question.  They took no notes.  They told us the case was closed that that was that.  When we left the station we kept saying to each other what a strange and awful experience we had felt.  They were not interested in anything we had to say at all and acted in a most unprofessional and insensitive manner.
Errors on the Police Report:
In the Narrative on the Police Report there are many error just showing how sloppy and unprofessional they were.  It states that “Michele” brought in documentation regarding Martin instead of “Linda”.  They mixed me up with my deceased sister.
They state I brought in “military records” when it was “psychology reports.”
They stated that “Linda’s” death was natural instead of “Michele’s.”
They stated that I (Linda) was shocked by the autopsy result and believed that Martin was involved, which is true.  I do believe Martin was involved, but I stated that I was NOT shocked by the autopsy results, and comments actually that it did not surprise me at all because Martin would know how to hide or cover up what he had done.  I was upset due to them stating the case was closed due to the autopsy no matter what other evidence or motive was being presented to them.  I never said Martin paid the Medical Examiner for the autopsy results.  The paper keeps quoting this incorrectly.  Also they put my name everywhere on the police report when I asked them not to.
I got no place with the Pleasant Grove Police Department.  I was told the case was closed and nothing more would be done.  I absolutely would not give up on this and began contacting the Utah County Attorney’s Office first calling, emailing, writing letters and dropping information by to Dave Sturgill.  I even wrote former Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. and my daughter Jill hand delivered the letter in a packet with other information to the capital to his office informing them it was urgent, and made a couple of follow up calls to his secretary, Gloria.  The Utah County Attorney’s Office finally picked up the case in January 2008, after my persistence.  It was first assigned to Sgt. Toby O’Bryant, but in the beginning of March 2008 he resigned so I received an email from Jeff Robinson on March 13, 2008 explaining that he would be reassigning the case.  At that point nothing had even been done on the case.  I finally heard again from Jeff Robinson on July 14, 2008 stating that he had assigned the case to Doug Witney and that he would be reviewing my case on July 21st or 22nd.  Thus started where we are at now.

May there be justice for Michele.  For Michele’s family it has been over 30 years of struggles as we have seen and experienced things that only we know.  Martin through his lies to distance Michele from her family so in many ways we were robbed of Michele long ago.  He is never changed.  He is deceitful and cunning and always feels he is above the law.  He has deceived my sister as many others.  Martin is calculated, controlling and manipulative.  I know he is responsible for the death of my sister.  I plead for her cause.

Leave a Reply

9 − = six